Parental Conduct Pledge
Acton-Boxborough Parental Conduct Pledge
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these "six pillars of character."
I therefore agree:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports and I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by being respectful and courteous and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect, will play by the rules and will resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will teach my child that doing one's best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance by praising my child for competing fairly and never ridiculing my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well being of the athletes ahead of a personal desire to win. I will recognize and emphasize skill development over winning.
- I will respect the authority of officials and coaches during games and will never question, discuss, or confront officials or coaches at the game or practice field. I will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches or have been invited to do so by the official coaches of the team.
I also agree that if I fail to abide by these rules and guidelines I will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Verbal warning by official, head coach, and/or head of league organization
- Written warning
- Parental game suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file by organizations involved
- Game forfeit through the official or coach
- Parental season suspension