Acton and Boxborough
Recreation Commissions’ Field Use Policy:
Purpose: to protect the playing fields from long term damage. Regardless of the weather, a practice or a game should not commence or continue on a field if:
- The field has standing water on it;
- The field is saturated with water;
- By playing on the field, the players are or would be damaging the field beyond normal wear and tear (i.e. tearing up the turf, creating muddy areas, etc.).
- Once a game begins, the referee or umpire is responsible for the decision to suspend a game due to the above or other conditions.
- Softball and baseball fields are often playable even with standing water on the infield. As long as a field does not pose a hazard to the players it can be used. Criteria for turf on these fields should adhere to the guidelines listed above.
- Each league will be required to appoint a contact person who is to be their designated contact person who is responsible for determining field playability.
- Failure to adhere to this policy can result in a league or team forfeiting their field permit for the remainder of the season.
- We make a best effort to post field closures two hours before game time. A Field Status message will be posted in the ABYS Facebook feed on the ABYS web site home page. Please check the Facebook feed for the most recent postings on AB fields.
- Regardless of the posted field closure message, the referee may call the game. The referee’s decision is final.
- Practices: Error on the side of caution. Notices may not always be posted in the ABYS Facebook feed on ABYS web site home page during the week. Cancel practice if the above conditions exist, even if you are at the field.
- Follow the appropriate (town or Travel) re-scheduling procedure online, if your game is cancelled.
Special Rules for Using Leary & Lower Fields at ABRHS:
When using the playing surface at Leary Field or the Lower Fields at ABRHS.
Please observe the following rules:
1) No chewing gum, sunflower seeds, shelled nuts or tobacco products allowed
2) No food, or drink other than water
3) No glass containers of any kind
4) The use of roller blades, skateboards, bicycles or mopeds is strictly prohibited
5) No metal cleats or spikes, or plastic cleats longer than 1/2” allowed
6) No tents, tarps, structures or objects which will or may foreseeably cause the penetration of the synthetic surface